Geometry and Topology
Summer Semester 2002
Wednesdays, 12:00-14:00, Seminarraum 2, begin: 17 April
Vorbesprechung: Donnerstag 14.2.02, 12:00, Seminarraum 2
Schedule of talks.
||Euclidean and Spherical Surfaces I (U. Kleine)
||Euclidean and Spherical Surfaces II (R. Martins)
||Models of the Hyperbolic Plane (K. Kaune)
||Geodesics and Isometries of H2
||Classification of Isometries of H2
||Hyperbolic Surfaces I (A. Lehmann)
|| Kein Seminar
||Hyperbolic Surfaces II (M.A. Rodriguez)
||Orbifolds and the Riemann-Hurwitz Formula (I. Wieck)
||Seifert Fibre Spaces, the eight 3-dimensional Geometries,
geometric 3-manifolds (H. Geiges)
||Geometry of the Universe (G. Kalil)
The main sources are:
An additional reference for Seifert fibre spaces is
- the book of J. Stillwell, Geometry of surfaces, Springer 1992, for
the first seven talks;
- the paper of P. Scott, The geometries of 3-manifolds,
Bull. London. Math. Soc. 15 (1983), 401-487, for the following ones.
- W.P. Thurston, Three-Dimensional Geometry and Topology, vol. 1,
Princeton University Press 1997, as a general companion.
For the last talk and for general interest see also:
- Audin, The
Topology of Torus Actions on Symplectic Manifolds, Birkhäuser 1991.
and the following papers in Classical and Quantum Gravity 15 (1998):
- N. J. Cornish, J. R. Weeks, Measuring the shape of the
universe, Notices of the AMS, December 1998
- M. Lachièze-Rey, J.-P. Luminet, Cosmic Topology, Physics
Reports 245 (1995), 135-214
- G. D. Starkman, Topology and Cosmology, 2529-2538;
- J. R. Weeks, Reconstructing the global topology of the universe
from the cosmic microwave background, 2599-2604;
- V. B. Roukema, V. Blanloeil, Three-dimensional
topology-independent methods to look for global topology, 2645-2655;
- J. Levin, E. Scannapieco, J. Silk, The topology of the universe:
the biggest manifold of them all, 2689-2697;
- J. R. Gott, Topology and the universe, 2719-2731.
F. Pasquotto, February 13, 2002.